In the beginning of the film, Hitchcock uses one long panning shot to introduce the audience to not only the setting of the movie, but many of the characters as well. The setting, taking place in L.B. Jefferies apartment and in the commons of multiple apartment complexes, is used to see into the lives of a variety of people and give a unique perspective on their actions. The panning shot is also used to establish some of the storylines of the characters. For example, we are introduced to the "popular dancer" who is referenced a number of times in the movie for the amount of people seen in her apartment. We are also introduced to the couple and their dog, who, when lowered down by a basket, is later killed by Mr. Thornwald when it is seen digging up where he buried his wife.
This video goes into more detail about the feeling the music and visuals give the reader. I like how she said that the opening sequence was misleading to the viewer because it gives them the feeling that it could be a "romantic comedy rather than a psychological thriller."
Overall, I liked this movie a lot. I think that the angles and shot types used really gave the viewer the feeling they were witnessing something they weren't supposed to see. For the film being over 50 years old, the camera work and sound design are rather impressive. I liked the placement of windows so you could see most things, but you weren't exposed to all of the characters actions. I also liked it because many of the characters actions were meant to be interpreted by the viewer. However, I am a little confused by why Hitchcock chose to expose the viewer to other, smaller storylines, like the woman who was going to kill herself because she was lonely.
No comments:
Post a Comment